Part 1: Answer the following questions, 100 words each
1. What was it about water that made ancient people avoid drinking it?
2. What did ancient people drink beer and wine instead and why? List 3 or 4 reasons.
3. Why do we drink alcohol today? List 3 or 4 reasons. How are these reasons the same or different from ancient reasons?
Part 2: Respond to two other posts
Write comments for two students. For full credit write at least 100 words to each student. Your answers must be thoughtful and thorough for full credit.
I will attach the two students’ responses below. For both the answers to the questions and comments to students, NO CITATIONS needed, just use your own words, and NO plagiarism, thank you
Student A: 1. At that time, there were not that many approaches to remove impurities from water; water could not be simply purified by boiling since boiling can only remove solids and bacteria, whereas chlorine and lead would be left; also, if people were getting water from nearby rivers, feces would be a major contaminant, especially when the population density increased. Such an issue could result in parasitic infection. By turning water and grains into alcohol, people got a cleaner source of water.
2. 1) As mentioned in question one, ancient people brewed beer and wine as a way to purify drinking water; 2) Since brewing beer and wine cost a large amount of labor and grain, an individual or a society had to hold enough labor force and food storage to afford it. That way, being able to produce alcohol and drink could display wealth and status; 3) According to the Sumerian hymn in this week’s workbook, ancient people could simply enjoy beer or wine to have fun; 4) Beer and wine held ceremonial purposes; since they cost a lot of labor and resources, giving them to gods was a way to show piety.
3. 1) First, similar to why ancient people drank alcohol, people today still drink alcohol to have fun. When drinking alcohol, the body produces extra dopamine, which is a hormone that makes one feel happy and relaxed. As dopamine reaches the reward centers in the brain, one would want to drink more to keep that good feeling; 2) Unlike ancient people, modern people no longer need alcohol as a purified version of water, but we developed various types of alcohol; some people would have wine tasting as their hobby; 3) In many events, alcohol has the role to cheer people up.
Student B: There were many features about the water that made ancient people want to avoid drinking it. One of these reasons being that it was tasteless. Water tastes like nothing, and they wanted something more. If the water did have a taste, it was a very rancid taste, and the water would smell terribly. Another reason the ancient people avoided drinking water was because it made them very sick. The water was contaminated with many things, and it was nearly impossible to get all the impurities out in order to make it healthy enough for them to drink it.
Ancient people would drink beer and wine to show their sense of power and wealth through conspicuous consumption. Beer was a very costly drink because of how it was processed using grains, wheat, barley, and honey, along with large amounts of wood that needed to be burned to brew the beer. Using these beverages at parties allowed the people to flaunt the lavish lifestyle they were able to hold. Another reason was that the water would often make them sick, and they didn’t know why, so they drank beer because it was fermented. Lastly, ancient people enjoyed the taste of beer and wine over the tasteless beverage of water.
In today’s world people drink alcohol for many reasons. One reason being to escape the problems happening in their life. Alcohol has anti-anxiety properties which allows the person drinking it to relax for the first time in their day. Another reasons people drink alcohol in today’s world is for social events or to enhance their sociability. Sometimes people struggle being in social environments, or they just want to fit in, so they will drink alcohol with their buddies. Lastly, in today’s world people still will use alcohol for ritualistic reasons in their life. These reasons are like the reasons from the ancient times being that they also used their alcohol during “feasts” which are like the get together and parties that people host in today’s world. Also, during both times, ancient and modern, people use alcohol for ritual purposes.
Part 3, answer these 3 questions below in your own words
1. Briefly explain one way in which the Trans-Atlantic slave trade has contributed to racial injustice in our society today.
2. What can past climate change tell us about climate change now?
3. How will you use what you learned in this class to be a better global citizen?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more